Hey Love Muffins! Who's got the February feels? Winter's in full swing and Valentine's Day is right around the corner... So to bring some added sweetness your way, I present my gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan zucchini muffin recipe- and with no added sugar!
Wholesome, earthy, with a little maple syrupy sweet touch, this tasty treat can be enjoyed as a breakfast boost or as a post-dinner dessert. The almond butter base adds a protein punch that keeps you satiated while the naturally low-calorie shredded zucchini adds vitamins, minerals, and healthful fiber to help with digestion.
For my Vegan Valentines, I use a new trick called a flax egg to substitute eggs. Mix ground flax seed with water, as described below, and voila: you've got a veritable egg substitute that can be used as 1:1 replacement in your favorite recipes.
Get ready to wow your friends and lovers with some guilt-free goodness, as described below!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup crunchy almond butter
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt (*try lavender salt if you can find in speciality food store)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake holders.
- 2. Make your flax egg: Add 1 tbsp flaxseed meal (ground raw flaxseed) to 2.5 Tbsp water in a cup and stir. Let rest 5 minutes to thicken. Will substitute 1 egg.
- 3. Shred your zucchini or spiral it, then chop it into small pieces.
- 4. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl: (gluten-free flour, salt, baking soda, raisins, and spices). With a whisk, combine all ingredients well.
- 5. To another mixing bowl, add all wet ingredients (almond butter, syrup, shredded zucchini, vanilla extract, and flax egg). Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the ingredients until well combined.
- 6. Start adding the dry ingredients into the wet while still mixing until batter forms. Let sit for a few minutes when finished.
- 7. [Optional: Taste your batter! It's safe to eat raw... no eggs!]
8. Scoop batter into cupcake holders. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5+ minutes before serving.
Enjoy! Please share in the comments section if you liked this recipe.